Rev. Joseph Hayes organized the first Methodist society of Orrville, known as the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1852. Membership started with 13 families and it commonly was called the M.E. Church. Services were first held in a log school house located at what is today 248 E. Church Street.
The first church building in Orrville was built by the United Brethren in 1854 on the corner of Church St. and Mill St. It was known as Union Church and was used by the Methodists, Presbyterians, and United Brethren from 1854-1869.
From the beginning, the Orrville Methodists wanted a church building of their own. Eliza Anderson and her mother started the first building fund by contributing $50 earned by raising flax, spinning it and selling the finished product.
By 1866, Methodists had raised enough money to allow them to build a new church. In August, 1866, masons began work on the foundation of a new brick church, located at the rear of what later was to become the stone church on N. Main St. The building was dedicated on February 7, 1869.
The building served the congregation until 1905 when growing membership required expansion. A new stone building was erected near the site of the original building.
In 1959, the congregation voted to build a new building on a new site because of overcrowded conditions. The church was built on more than seven acres of land donated by Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Smucker. The first worship service in the new church on Rex Drive was held June 7, 1964. Services are still held in this building today.
*Information taken from UMC Communications and "From Whence We Came" History of Trinity United Methodist Church, 1977.